Sunday, February 6, 2011

Throg statue Part 1

I was looking forward to watching the Superbowl today, not because of the game, but for the half time show and the commercials (maybe one day when I get MUCH older, I would understand the game more).

I really wanted to watch the Captain America and Thor trailer because frankly, watching it on a same 12.1” laptop is not as great as it versus the TV. 

This weekend, I picked up a few comics and came across Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers and the cover had Puddlegulp/Throg.

Making sculptures is fun, however, I don’t think I’m at that level to sculpt people (trust me, I tried) so in anticipation for the superhero movies, I decided to make a Throg. Tried looking on google and ebay for “sample” Throgs, but there wasn’t anything interesting. I did find a link where the creator sculpted a cool Throg hanging on a column like Spiderman, however, I can’t find my way back to that link.

Here's my attempt on making a Throg statue.

Drew a picture I saw on the comic:

IMG_0738

Made an armature (skeleton) and started to cover with polymer clay (Super Sculpy in this case):

IMG_0727

Couldn’t make him stand (especially when the Mjolnir is melting) so made a stand so It looks like he’s taking it from the rubbles (like in the trailer sans Throg):

IMG_0735 

Throg’s face:

IMG_0736

Stuffed him in the oven for maybe an 1.5 +hrs an painted with acrylic:

IMG_0739

A brighter version:

IMG_0743

Now that I already saw the trailers and that the game ended (yay Packers!) didn’t have the eye sight to watch Glee, so the finishing touches will be done tomorrow.

Stay tuned (hopefully I wouldn’t lose interest and blog about something else)!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's a throg? Some kinda mutated Thor?

    I like your sketch. I also like the unpainted (raw)throg more because it seems to have more character when it's not buried under a coat of paint. You're very good at sculpting.

    What happened to the Tiger Mom post?

    ReplyDelete